* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently August 20th, 2014, 6:43 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
PostPosted: September 18th, 2006, 11:11 pm 
In the freezer

Effing spectacular, if pilot-y. The fight between Matthew Perry and Sarah Paulson (I'll have to get used to character names) was the highlight. Perry is a perfect actor for Sorkin's words.

And Amanda Peet has never looked better. Not like that really has anything to do with the quality of the show, but I had to mention it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 10:34 am 
Kite Flying Society

yes, quite good. i haven't heard any dialogue as good as the west wing's, but i guess no characters could ever be smarter than that gang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 6:38 pm 
Kite Flying Society

This show has to be one of the worst things on TV. Easily the most over-produced, swarmy, self-conscious, self-congratulatory, assine pieces of shat in a long time. I do not understand how any could fall under the sway of this show. Every single scene is over-wrought with conflict that boils down to nothing. The conflict in the show is absolutely meaningless but every character acts like it is the end of the world. The scene where they discussed the ratings and how the show was unpatriotic is a perfect example of this type of garbage. The dialouge is also very "I'm soooo smart" to the point were it is cringe worthy. If you've seen the West Wing you've seen this show, except at least the West Wing's topic gave reason for hyping up conflict. Also, every character in this show talks the same! They're all the same character. Bah, I can only watch this show in the same I watch a train wreck. So bad.

If someone wants to see some great television on television then watch the second season of Extras which just started. Pure genius. It's actually unique, with in-depth characters. It has something real to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2006, 1:10 am 
In the freezer

I really liked tonight's episode. John Goodman was as fantastic as expected. Next week looks even better.

Honestly, I'm shocked NBC hasn't canceled it yet. Rumors were flying recently that it had already been done, but NBC expressed its confidence in the show, so I'm happy.

I do understand, though, a lot of the criticisms of the show. It isn't as natural as West Wing, and the characters aren't as perfectly defined as they were in Sports Night. But I still find myself completely in love with the world Sorkin is creating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2006, 4:29 am 
Kite Flying Society

it's a really annoying show where everything happens is supposed to be funny or touching or precious but in reality they're just big money spent on nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 12:50 am 
Kite Flying Society

Source

NBC orders full season of ailing "Studio 60"
Thu Nov 9, 2006 11:37pm ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - After days of speculation, NBC has ordered a full season's worth of episodes for "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," the critically praised drama whose poor ratings placed it on the brink of cancellation.

Sources said NBC will pay the show's producer, Warner Bros. Television, a lower license fee for the nine additional episodes than they negotiated for the initial 13 episodes, which was said to be in the range of $2.5 million-$3 million per episode.

NBC and Warner Bros. TV declined comment. "Studio 60," from "West Wing" mastermind Aaron Sorkin, is set behind the scenes of a late-night sketch comedy show. It stars Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford and Amanda Peet.

Airing behind the breakout new hit of the season, "Heroes," "Studio 60" got off to a promising start, but the ratings quickly fell. This week, the series averaged 7.7 million viewers overall and finished third in the hour.

"I've never wavered in my belief in the show," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly said. "With the talent we have in front and behind the camera and with the direction Aaron is taking the relationships, I think the show's passionate core audience will be excited, and the other viewers who sampled it can be won over."

"Studio 60" was taken off its 10 p.m. Monday slot last week when the network tried out another critically praised but low-rated new drama, "Friday Night Lights."

Reilly wouldn't say whether "Studio 60" will remain in its Monday berth. He said the network is looking at several possible scheduling moves, with a new midseason schedule set to be announced next week.

Reilly also declined comment on the fate of two other struggling new series, which have not been picked up for a full season, "Lights" and the comedy "30 Rock."

"'Studio 60,' 'Friday Night Lights' and '30 Rock' are really good shows with passionate underlying audiences that are back on brand with NBC," Reilly said.

"30 Rock" and "Lights" received orders for three additional scripts, a step NBC also took with "Studio 60" before ordering a full season.

"Studio 60" has the highest concentration of viewers with a household income of more than $75,000 of any show on television. The series co-stars Sarah Paulson, D.L. Hughley, Steven Weber, Nathan Corddry and Timothy Busfield.

In other pickup news, the CW has ordered three additional scripts each of "Veronica Mars" and "One Tree Hill."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 1:27 pm 
Kite Flying Society

This show makes no sense. Who is the audience? It's too stupid for smart people, and stupid people think it's smart which means they won't like it either. NBC should focus on the other sketch show, 30 Rock, which is actually worth watching and quite hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2006, 10:06 am 
Kite Flying Society

I agree. 30Rock is consistently funny, and more insightful about the day to day of writing for a sketch show, maybe because Tina Fey actually knows what the hell she's writing about, rather than forcing her artifically rambling, almost robotically referential dialogue on whatever setting she feels neccesary. I just saw the pilot a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as Hirsch is gone, it turns boring and uninteresting. How much more interesting a subject is a Lorne-Michael's type character who gets fed up with the quality of his own, and others' work? Compare that to two coke head, mediocre talents whose "edgy" sketch is called "Crazy Christians."

I'm probably a couple of months late on all of this, but it's such a wasted oppurtunity that it bothers me.