* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 7:40 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Ingmar Bergman, 1918-2007
PostPosted: July 30th, 2007, 3:58 pm 
A friend of a friend

From the Guardian (http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2137786,00.html):

Quote:
The legendary Swedish film-maker Ingmar Bergman died this morning at his home on the island of Faro. According to his daughter, Eve, the director of The Seventh Seal and Persona died peacefully in his sleep. He was 89.

Having initially trained on the stage, Bergman went on to direct nearly 50 feature films, beginning with Crisis in 1946. His breakthrough came in 1957, courtesy of an extraordinary double-headed triumph of Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal. He would go on to win three best foreign language film Oscars, for The Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly and Fanny and Alexander....

A colossus of world cinema, Ingmar Bergman influenced a generation of film-makers who were inspired both by his effortless command of the medium and his high-minded sense of its moral and artistic possibilities. In 1988, Woody Allen hailed him as "probably the greatest artist, all things considered, since the invention of the motion picture camera."

Post subject: Re: Ingmar Bergman, 1918-2007
PostPosted: July 31st, 2007, 9:27 am 
In the freezer

Try this on for size: I've never seen a Bergman. I know, I know. There are several on my Netflix queue, but it's just so difficult to manage, because there are so many movies I have not seen but want to.

My exposure to foreign film is pretty limited, and that's why I've always felt uncomfortable listing things like my favorite directors on here. My parents both really like certain kinds of movies, and growing up, I was probably over-exposed to Hitchcock (my mom) and Ford (my dad). Not that I minded, of course.

I'm trying to play catch-up, and it's just so difficult, especially since I haven't been going to the movies as much in the past year, so my queue is currently filled with more recent films I missed.