* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently February 17th, 2018, 7:33 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Truman Capote and Harper Lee
PostPosted: December 5th, 2002, 4:23 pm 
Jacked by the IRS

Do you guys think Capote wrote To Kill a Mockingbird? I can't decide where I stand on this subject.

Post subject: Re: Truman Capote and Harper Lee
PostPosted: December 5th, 2002, 8:47 pm 
Kite Flying Society

I don't think so, but it is pretty suspicious that Lee only wrote one book, especially since it is so magnificent. I guess she just burnt out really hard on that book. <p><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=SolidSnakeASS">My DVDs</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p>

PostPosted: December 6th, 2002, 1:36 pm 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

Don't think he wrote it, but I think that it is entirely possible that he "contributed."

PostPosted: December 7th, 2002, 11:12 pm 
Kite Flying Society

There is a play called "The Gift" that was written by Will Stutts. I saw it a few years ago and really liked it. Most of you will probably never see it because it was written by a guiy from my area... but there have been talks about doing another performance and getting it on tape/film...

Anyway, it's about the theory that he wrote the book for her... I never knew anything about that theory until I saw the play... good stuff...

Post subject: harper/capote
PostPosted: December 9th, 2002, 11:13 pm 

this is the first i'm hearing that the two are even connected.

i haven't read t.k.a.m.b for ages but if i recall it seems to be quite a different literary style to capote.

i have a copy of breakfest at tiffany's with some of capote's short stories at the back. i think they are great.

has anyone here read the one about a young boy and his elderly grandmother and they are poor and its christmas...........and i'm not making any sense.

i'll check out the title of the story and get back to you.

Post subject: Re: harper/capote
PostPosted: December 10th, 2002, 12:04 am 
Jacked by the IRS

"A Christmas Memory"? I think that's it, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't read it since high school.

Post subject: capote christmas
PostPosted: December 10th, 2002, 5:26 pm 

yes saucey

it is "a christmas memory". obviously yours is better that mine!

very touching story.

Post subject: capote shamote
PostPosted: December 15th, 2002, 5:29 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Capote was not the kind of author to give anything he did anway (for free at least). He was all about being the center of attention, especially if you recall how he treated all his New York socialite friends in his Esquire articles.

<p>"He's out. You're out too. And I'm not so sure I'm in either! No gang!"</p>

Post subject: to kill a mockingbird
PostPosted: January 4th, 2003, 9:20 pm 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

i'm guessing everyone knows that dill harris in tkamb was based on truman capote?

i don't think capote wrote it, but it's an interesting theory. it's not his style of writing.

Post subject: Lee and co.
PostPosted: March 17th, 2003, 8:57 am 

Interesting observation but surely not quite right. Lee delved much into her own past for TKAMB but going as far as to reach into the pocketbook of Capote is a bit of a stretch. They are very different writers and Lee's magazine work seems to indicate she was an impressive wordsmith.

Post subject: Re: Lee and co.
PostPosted: April 1st, 2003, 8:04 pm 

Here's what I think and seem to recall: Harper Lee and Truman C were friends, and she was with him when he travelled to Kansas to assimilate with the Holcombe locals while he researched "In Cold Blood." Her contibutions were siginificant enough to warrant the book being dedicated to her, but was there more? Well, there isn't much reason to "give away" the manuscript of what may have turned out to be his most significant contribution to literature (and ultimately a Pulitzer Prize). Also, check the dates: The Clutter family was murdered in 1959. Capote travelled there after that and stayed there for about 5 years. Could he have foreseen her contributions? Also, TKAM was published in 1960, the next year. But I will say this: I really enjoy Capote's writing structure and his observations and I DO think that the writing styles are very similar. I will also say that TKAM was very well written and endearing and really very well may have been added to by Mr. Capote. Maybe it was her story and he ghost-wrote it and then took his name off of it after she helped him. I have doubts either way so I am not completely convinced... 8o

Edited by: Jonny Random at: 4/1/03 6:14:35 pm

Post subject: Harper Lee
PostPosted: January 31st, 2006, 9:17 pm 

Harper Lee was here on campus last Friday to give out an award and apparently even signed books at the special collections library. I never even heard anything about this until yesterday. I can't believe I missed the chance to see her, but hopefully she'll be back again.