* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently May 22nd, 2018, 7:41 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Dostoevsky and those Russians
PostPosted: May 30th, 2005, 12:51 pm 
Chapel Partner

For some strange reason, I happen to be a huge fan of Russian literature. Dostoevsky's <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Crime and Punishment</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Idiot</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, and <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Brothers Karamazov</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> pushed me in the stream of classic novels instantly. Anyone else have a fondness for him or other Russian writers?

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>-Purple</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <p>----------------------------------------------------------------
"Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?"
----------------------------------------------------------------</p>

Post subject: Russia
PostPosted: May 31st, 2005, 5:09 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

I actually recently finished Crime and Punishment, and I was a fan. Tolstoy is another good Russian writer, as is Chekov.

Post subject: Unknown
PostPosted: June 1st, 2005, 9:54 pm 
Wants to be a Tenenbaum

(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Post subject: Underground
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 1:55 am 
In the freezer

Currently reading Notes from the Underground. Not enjoying it. Why? On page 2, the narrator says:
I used to be in the government servic, but am no longer. I was a spiteful official. I was rude and took pleasure in being so.
A couple of paragraphs later, he tells the reader:
I was lying when I said just now that I was a spiteful official. I was lying from spite. I was simply amusing myself with the petitioners and with the officer, and in reality I never could become spiteful.
Ugh.

I've been told it gets better, but I cannot move on. I tried. I got to the bottom of page three:
I want now to tell you, gentlemen, whether you care to hear it or not, why I could not even become an insect
. Sorry, bud, but I don't care to hear it. I don't. So I won't.

The book is now closed, and I don't want to open it again. At least until I have to write a paper on it this Sunday at 11:30pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 4:13 pm 
Operation Hennessey

I liked Notes from the Underground. It's a man arguing with himself, trying to figure out what happened... how did he end up banished in prison. It's not for everyone, I agree.

Crime adn Punishment is simply amazing, as is the Brothers Karamazov. They are where the psychological thriller started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 5:05 pm 
In the freezer

Don't get me wrong, there's something interesting about an unreliable self-doubting narrator, but I just find it way too frustrating to read because I have to question everything he says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2006, 3:35 am 
Kite Flying Society

KumarsTouch Wrote:Don't get me wrong, there's something interesting about an unreliable self-doubting narrator, but I just find it way too frustrating to read because I have to question everything he says.

Plus you have to try and remember who everyone is because we're not used to the name.

However, I would put Dostoevsky in my top 10 writers. For sure. BK might be in my five favourite books of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2006, 4:30 am 
Operation Hennessey

EmberCat Wrote:However, I would put Dostoevsky in my top 10 writers. For sure. BK might be in my five favourite books of all time.

I can understand that, as I was reading it I would sometimes come across passages that made me think in a new way I'd never considered before. That's always a good thing. The problem is to get to those passages you have to filter through sooo much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2006, 10:46 am 
Kite Flying Society

Evilpenguin9000 Wrote:
EmberCat Wrote:However, I would put Dostoevsky in my top 10 writers. For sure. BK might be in my five favourite books of all time.

I can understand that, as I was reading it I would sometimes come across passages that made me think in a new way I'd never considered before. That's always a good thing. The problem is to get to those passages you have to filter through sooo much.

True enough. The massive descriptive passages can drive you nuts. But that seems to be a part of the Russian style - or at least, from that era. I prefer that kind of description to say, oh, the Bronte's. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2006, 3:39 pm 
Operation Hennessey

EmberCat Wrote:
Evilpenguin9000 Wrote:

True enough. The massive descriptive passages can drive you nuts. But that seems to be a part of the Russian style - or at least, from that era. I prefer that kind of description to say, oh, the Bronte's. ;)

I think that style is derived from the fact that the wealthy Russians would essentially be snow bound all winter, so a long book was a better option for them since they had nothing else to do.