* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently February 17th, 2018, 7:32 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Slaughterhouse-Five
PostPosted: January 25th, 2003, 1:23 am 
Kite Flying Society

Just finished it. I can't believe that I got turned on to KV so late in life. Somebody here has a quote of his for their sig line right now. The "god damnit be kind" rule - is it DudleyFan?

So I've read Breakfast of Champions and now SH-5. Any suggestions for the next read?

Post subject: Re: Vonnegut
PostPosted: January 25th, 2003, 2:06 am 
Kite Flying Society

Yes, I have a Vonnegut sig - it's from 'God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.'

I've read quite a bit of Vonnegut, and the one that has stayed with me the most is 'Bluebeard.' <p>"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies-: 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'" --Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.</p>

PostPosted: January 25th, 2003, 2:17 am 
Max Fischer Players

I'm a clumsy reader, so I miss most of the subtext in Vonnegut's and other's novels. So, I know for sure I love the intricately plotted ones, like Sirens of Titan and Slapstick, and ooh! Cat's Cradle and Galapagos... damn, he rules.

Sirens of Titan really knocked me on my ass. Terry Gilliam should do the movie. I allow him to go three hours plus on that one.

Hmm... even though there's four books ahead of it on the list, I may need to re-read that and cast it in my head. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"You see my kind of loyalty was loyalty to one's country, not to its institutions, or its office holders. The country is the real thing, the substantial thing, the eternal thing; it is the thing to watch over, and care for, and be loyal to; institutions are extraneous, they are its mere clothing, and clothing can wear out, become ragged, cease to be comfortable, cease to protect the body from winter, disease, and death. To be loyal to rags, to shout for rags, to worship rags, to die for rags--this is loyalty to unreason, it is pure animal; it belongs to monarchy, was invented by monarchy; let monarchy keep it."
-Mark Twain, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></p>

PostPosted: January 25th, 2003, 7:38 pm 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

I must agree with DF - Bluebeard is my fave.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2003, 1:33 pm 

Unfortunately, I have only read Slaughterhouse, as I am usually way too lazy to read as much as I would like. One of my favorites though, despite the fact that I had to write a 15 page paper on it. Hilarious stuff man. <p>*Hot lesbian witches! It's fucking genius!* </p>

PostPosted: January 31st, 2003, 4:27 pm 

my english teacher just gave out slaughterhous to read today. im all kinds of excited ! <p>Brit
We are everyday angels.Be careful with me cause id like to stay that way. </p>

Post subject: s-5
PostPosted: January 31st, 2003, 6:40 pm 
Kite Flying Society

I wish MY english teach had given us Slaughterhouse-Five. You are so lucky!

Post subject: vonnegut
PostPosted: February 10th, 2003, 6:23 pm 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

SIRENS OF TITAN!!!

that was the first vovegut book i read and i is still my favorite... then mabey read timequake, although i took that book to be more biographical rather then a story... and galapagos isn't bad

but SIRENS OF TITAN one must read

Post subject: Re: vonnegut
PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 6:46 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Bump for Bert.

(This thing was clear back on page 8. I'm looking for something else, but ... here.) ("You can make someone a sandwich and say, 'Here!'" - Francis Xavier Cross.)

<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> <!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:navy;font-family:times new roman;font-size:x-small;">"And that's the whole idea of the film: it's a fake documentary; it's about fake secrecy. It's really important to me that it's all transparent, all totally coy. It's about what happens when you keep secrets, because they're transparent anyhow. Things will come out one way or another, and just because they come out doesn't mean they are true." - Jennifer Montgomery</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></p>

PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 6:50 pm 
Max Fischer Players

Why, thank you. I don't have much to add, except to say that S-5 was really good.

Jailbird and Cat's Cradle are still tied for my personal fave. But I've never read Bluebeard. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->You don't have scurvy. Only pirates get scurvy.<!--EZCODE BR START-->
<!--EZCODE BR END-->Pirates and me! Wait... write that down, that's a good movie title.</p>

PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 7:10 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Why, you're welcome!

Hey, was Bluebeard a ... you know ... :pirate ?

Arrrr! I always think he was, in the stories of old, but I never really asked out loud before today.

(Ew, and it's so public, too.) <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> <!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:navy;font-family:times new roman;font-size:x-small;">"And that's the whole idea of the film: it's a fake documentary; it's about fake secrecy. It's really important to me that it's all transparent, all totally coy. It's about what happens when you keep secrets, because they're transparent anyhow. Things will come out one way or another, and just because they come out doesn't mean they are true." - Jennifer Montgomery</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></p>

PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 9:50 pm 
Kite Flying Society

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Hey, was Bluebeard a ... you know ... <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
He was a one-eyed, World War II veteran, painter. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

Post subject: Re: Slaughterhouse-Five
PostPosted: September 10th, 2009, 9:33 am 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

Slaughterhouse-Five is hands down my favorite book I've ever read. It makes me so happy to see other people liking it, because I hear people saying so often that they "didn't get it". I suppose it's one of those love-or-hate kind of things.

And a one-sentence anecdote: I remember the first day of my 11th grade Lit class, my teacher mentioned how little she cared for Vonnegut, which was a sign of things to come.

Cat's Cradle is my 2nd favorite of Vonnegut's books, so like lots of other people, that's what I would suggest reading next.

Post subject: Re: Slaughterhouse-Five
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 10:04 am 

I absolutely LOVE Vonnegut but I can't say Slaughterhouse-5 is my favorite though it was the first of his I have read. since then I've read most of everything of his.

I prefer Mother Night and Cat's Cradle to Slaughterhouse-5 and I wish that God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian could have been much longer.