* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently February 17th, 2018, 7:35 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Bookstore Excursions: vent and celebrate here!
PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 7:08 pm 
Kite Flying Society

So. You know how I love to go to The Pita Jungle, and then to Changing Hands Bookstore with the Jax. We used to do that on Jackee-Friday, but since I've become her roommate, not s'much.

But she also has a class out here on Saturdays. Sometimes I drive with her and toodle around Mill Avenue for a bit, laughing at the horrible clothes college girls wear these days, and then we Pita, and then we touch the books. But this weekend, and next, I'm located in Tempe, and so I met her today for Pita, and then we proceeded to touching the books.

It was good. Lunch was . urgh! sogooood . and the bookstore was fun for one big reason that I had forgotten about until I went to pay for my new calendar, my new issue of <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Bust</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> magazine, lalalalala, and my new <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Fantastic Mr. Fox</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->, a book I'm eager to read for obvious reasons.

Two weeks ago, when I went crazy in there (but managed to spend less that day, hmmm), I tried to buy a copy of <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Fantastic Mr. Fox</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->. At the register, I was slipped a little flyer that celebrated the release of Burton's movie, and as a fun thing they're giving away a chocolate bar to people who buy any Roald Dahl book for a period of time following the film's release.

I bought a used copy of <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Boy</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> that day, since they were out of <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Mr. Fox</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->es. Today I bought <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Mr. Fox</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->, and the guy was all, "You get a chocolate bar! Do you know about this?" I squint at him, "Yeeeeesss?/." He says, "If there's a golden ticket in there, you get the chocolate factory tour?/.''

:) I had forgotten that part. Clearly, I was focused on the free chocolate. Now, I have a chance for fresh samples. Woo. Woo!

So. The guys are standing there, thinking I'm going to open the chocolate bar. They watch me place the bar in my bag. They appear a little too anxious for being over 21.

Them: Oh. You're not gonna open it?/.

Me: Is there some concern I'll counterfeit a golden ticket?

Them: 8o <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Well.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> (Regaining composure and turning slightly imbecilic with their pointlessly competitive spirit.) If you could counterfeit <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>those</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> tickets, we'd be impressed.

Me: Will you wonder whether I found it on the ground and misrepresented myself as a winner, when some poor little girl is flipping out because she's lost her ticket? And then make me feel stupid when I come back in here singing that I've won?

Them: Of course not.

Me: :) Okay. Then I'm gonna open it when I feel like eating some chocolate.

Guy helping me: :rock
Other guy meddling in our transaction: :rolleyes

Heh. So. I'm about to find out if I've got a golden ticket. Part of the reason I didn't open it there is because I never, ever win stuff, so being the fatalist gal that I am, I dreaded the slightest chance that I'd appear heartbroken because I didn't have that ticket. I am not Charlie. I am not Homer Simpson. I need not tour the chocolate factory in reality, or in my dreams.

Drumroll, please.

Make that a bugle:

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>waaaa-waaa-waaaa-waaaa</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

No golden ticket. :\

That's okay, I have the chocolate in hand, and it's a little melty still from the ride home (so hot today, I need to read EmberCat's post from last week and comiserate). I'm gonna have a little cup of coffee and enjoy my reward for buying quality Children's literature today.

Edited for a lack of self-editing first time around. Oy. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> <!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:navy;font-family:times new roman;font-size:x-small;">"And that's the whole idea of the film: it's a fake documentary; it's about fake secrecy. It's really important to me that it's all transparent, all totally coy. It's about what happens when you keep secrets, because they're transparent anyhow. Things will come out one way or another, and just because they come out doesn't mean they are true." - Jennifer Montgomery</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></p>Edited by: highwaters at: 7/30/05 9:10 pm

Post subject: Re: Bookstore Excursions: vent and celebrate here!
PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 9:48 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Oh. No golden ticket. :( I would've liked to win it just so I could sing the song from the first movie right there in the bookstore.

I have a little bookstore story. When I went into Borders two weeks ago to get my Harry Potter line tickets, the clerk looked up at me and said, "DudleyFan?" before I could give my name.

Is that a good thing? I go there a <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>lot</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, but I don't special order many things. So the main place where they would have seen my name is on the slip I have to sign when I get my educator's discount. So now I'm all paranoid, thinking the employees are in the back looking at my manga purchases for the school and eye-rolling -- "Yeah, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>right,</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> these are for school library. She's getting 'em for her kid, for sure." <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 10:09 pm 
Max Fischer Players

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>...the clerk looked up at me and said, "DudleyFan?" before I could give my name.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->It would probably be a bad sign if the clerk actually called you DudleyFan, and not by your given name. 'Cause that might just mean you have a stalker. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->You don't have scurvy. Only pirates get scurvy.<!--EZCODE BR START-->
<!--EZCODE BR END-->Pirates and me! Wait... write that down, that's a good movie title.</p>

PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 10:13 pm 
Kite Flying Society

(I was gonna say, if someone ever calls me highwaters in this town, I'm gonna freak. out.)

I bet they like you, Dudlers, because you're a sweetheart. I remember the time you witnessed a complete @$$hole railing on one of the cashiers, and you consoled her when he finally left. People remember that stuff.

Also, you buy cool books. People remember that, too. I always remembered the people who checked out cool movies from my library. When I had to help them with the self-check machine, I'd peek and go, "Oooh! Let me know how that is!"

I know when I see you again, I'm gonna 'memberya. :) <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> <!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:navy;font-family:times new roman;font-size:x-small;">"And that's the whole idea of the film: it's a fake documentary; it's about fake secrecy. It's really important to me that it's all transparent, all totally coy. It's about what happens when you keep secrets, because they're transparent anyhow. Things will come out one way or another, and just because they come out doesn't mean they are true." - Jennifer Montgomery</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></p>

PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 10:43 pm 
Kite Flying Society

I <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>am</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> very chatty with the clerks. I do like to jazz about what I'm buying. So I'll assume it's that.

(Hee, Bert and Highwaters. Wouldn't that be seriously freaky if someone greeted you with your handle?)
<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

PostPosted: August 8th, 2005, 9:43 pm 
Voluntary patient

Do you all remember the time Highwaters was recounting the tale of a JCrew delivery.. and in her telling she said something like, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"... and he said, 'Highwaters?' "</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> and I was all freaking ou because someone had called her that!

Then I realized... duh... censored for the public board. Heh. I was such a newbie...

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.nicholashoare.com/nh_catalogue.php" target="top">My new favourite bookstore</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> is not new but I just realized I can walk there if the day is not too hot, or too snowy.

It's not a single store, bt there are only 4 of them in the country so it feels special. The bookseller is a witty man who I have met at bok events in the city and he loves to chat with you and recommend books. I love that old-style bokstore aproach. I was soooo sad when my favourite bokstore, the OLDEST bookstore in the city, was closed down to make wsay for -- get this -- a Starbooks.

So ironic since there are now Starbucks in most of our bookstores. SO, why didn't they just combine them?

Aolso it was the only place, the only time I was ever hit openly on by another woman. SO, it was kind of special to me ;) <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> "There’s never any time to have too much self-doubt" - Wes Anderson </p>Edited by: chelseagirl at: 8/8/05 8:50 pm

PostPosted: August 8th, 2005, 10:40 pm 
Kite Flying Society

I do remember calling myself highwaters once, but it didn't help me on first read of Dudley's post. I did the a-oo-ga eyeball thing.

Ahhh, we always remember our first hit-upon by a member of the same sex.

Chelse, my Changing Hands lovebug used to have space, long lived-in (I used to walk from just across the street here, where I used to rent a house), right on Mill Ave, the heartbeat of ASU's cultural life. Spaghetti Company was next door. I used to get the $5 well-balanced student meal, and then go read in their stacks.

Now they're in strip mall, because the rent got driven up by the evil chains. Chains! Chaaaains! <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> I wish I had a million dollars ... HOT daaaawg!</p>

PostPosted: August 9th, 2005, 1:35 pm 
Chapel Partner

This past weekend, I went to a Barnes & Noble's to pick up a copy of Gideon's Trumpet, and to my dismay, could not find one. I like to stroll up and down random aisles, flipping through random books, and humming random songs so that fellow customers look at me puzzledly and/or glare. I get the best looks when I do that in the Psychology section.

I stopped into the Christian/New Age section and was absent-mindedly glancing at the dustjacket of Joel Osteen's book (because I really, really, really dislike Joel Osteen), and a little old lady was standing off to my left with some hardbacked novel in her hand. She dropped it, and I looked over to see if she needed help. To my surprise, she spat out a string of expletives and laid a few <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Holy Curses</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> at the end of it. And no, she wasn't in pain. And I don't think she had Tourette's.

I have never heard a religious, lavender-haired old lady cuss like a trucker in the Christian aisle of a bookstore over a dropped book. Boy, did that scurrr me rightly.
<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>
-Purple</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

PostPosted: August 9th, 2005, 3:36 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Ugh, I think I've told this story on the board before, but when I moved KC Liz back to KC, we got a special treat from a foul-mouthed mother of two at a gas station. KC, wondering why the hell she was moving back there, goes, "Welcome to the Bible belt." :rolleyes

That's crazy, Purple. I think I would've laughed myself to tinkling a tiny bit. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> I wish I had a million dollars ... HOT daaaawg!</p>

PostPosted: August 10th, 2005, 9:10 am 
Chapel Partner

I was frightened. For all I know, she could have had rabies.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>-Purple</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

PostPosted: August 13th, 2005, 11:19 pm 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

Been hitting up bookstores left and right lately...

I'm in search of the latest Film Comment issue for the 2046 cover story. All my local bookstores carried the previous issue, but I cannot find this one anywhere. I ended up asking at Barnes and Noble and the clerk told me their last shipment was last month and she doesn't know if they will still carry it or not. Wah. The first issue I want to buy and all the bookstores drop it.

I needed The Picture of Dorian Gray for a book swap and Barnes and Noble did not have any at all. The library saved my life.

I went to a lovely used bookstore in Miami Beach the other day called Kafka's Kafe. Pictures here: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/asianmammal/sets/743837/">www.flickr.com/photos/asianmammal/sets/743837/</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->

EDIT: I finally found Film Comment! It was at a B & N location that I deemed unorganized before, but this find cancels that experience out. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->"P.S. - Did you ever wish you could breathe under water?"</p>Edited by: sUnSeT jOneS at: 8/14/05 6:26 pm

PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 5:48 pm 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

I read <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>To the Lighthouse</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> last year and really loved it. I want to buy the book, but I really have my eyes set on this UK edition with the beautiful rocks cover: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://uk.penguinclassics.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,10_0141183411,00.html">uk.penguinclassics.com/nf...11,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

I found a used copy online from a US bookstore for $9, but someone bought the last copy today. I was planning to order it on Friday, but look what I get for waiting!

I did some shopping of my own and the best deal I could find was 11.10 pounds, around $20. Now, I'd be willing to pay that as a last resort. I'm just asking for a little help.

How you can help:

-If you live in the UK and are willing to buy it and ship to me in the US for around $12.

-If you can find a better price online for me to order.

I know it sounds really shallow to want a book by its cover, but I <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>really</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> want this edition (just not enough to pay $20 right now).

EDIT: Nevermind...I told my dad about the $9 copy I missed out on and he was turned off by the used fact and said he doesn't mind giving me $20 for an imported, new one. When I thought about all of this, I realized $20 isn't that much for a book. I mean, walking into B & N to buy the US copy would be $12 plus tax, so $20 for an ideal copy shipped to my door?! Not too bad in perspective.

Oh, dads are the best! <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->"P.S. - Did you ever wish you could breathe under water?"</p>Edited by: sUnSeT jOneS at: 8/24/05 6:27 pm