* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently May 23rd, 2018, 2:39 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: David Rakoff's "Don't Get Too Comfortable"
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2005, 1:01 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

For all the "This American Life" fans out there, add another author to your reading list. I know a lot of people on this board enjoyed Rakoff's first book "Fraud", and you will enjoy this one just as much.

It's called <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385510365/qid=1130003847/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0888287-0304738?v=glance&s=books&n=507846" target="top">Don't Get Too Comfortable : The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never- Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->

He was recently a guest on the Daily Show and you can see his hilarious interview here: <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/celebrity_interviews/index.jhtml?playVideo=23660&rsspartner=rssMagpieRSS" target="top">Daily Show Interviews Page</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->

Post subject: Re: David Rakoff's "Don't Get Too Comfortable"
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2005, 9:12 pm 
Kite Flying Society

LMason! I have this book right at my elbow, because I've been meaning to quote one of essays.

You lit a fire under me. Here goes:

First of all, when talking about the War in Iraq, Mr. Rakoff quotes Barbara Bush, (mother of our current prez, and wife of the president two back), who says this about the White House's policy of not allowing the photographing of flag-draped coffins coming back from Iraq: "Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? I mean, it's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

Ahem. Barbara Bush, ladies and gentlemen.

Anyways, here's Rakoff's take on this:

"So let us promise herewith to never forget her callous disregard for other parents' children while her own son was sending them to make the ultimate sacrifice, while asking of the rest of us little more than to promise to go shopping. Commit the quote to memory and say it whenever her name comes up. Remind others how she lacked even the bare minimum of human integrity, the most basic requirement of decency that says if you support a war, you should be willing, if not to join those nineteen-year-olds yourself, then at least, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>at the very least</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, to acknowledge that said war was actually going on. Stupid fucking cow."

<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

Post subject: Re: David Rakoff's "Don't Get Too Comfortable"
PostPosted: November 4th, 2005, 9:05 am 
Kite Flying Society

You know, I'm terrible about writing down names, and this is one guy whose name I knew I needed to jot.

I go buy. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> I wish I had a million dollars ... HOT daaaawg!</p>