* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently May 23rd, 2018, 2:40 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: David Sedaris On Tour
PostPosted: October 15th, 2003, 12:43 pm 
Operation Hennessey

I saw Sedaris on Monday Night.

He read 4 new essays - all of them hysterical.

He signed my copies of Holidays on Ice and Naked- "In appreciation of your $upport and reader$hip" and
"Thanks for making me rich".

He is very small and his bodygaurd is very big.

If you get the chance -- go see him! <p>"Damn you. You're taking my encyclopedias. This is humiliating."</p>

Post subject: Re: David Sedaris On Tour
PostPosted: October 15th, 2003, 1:47 pm 
Kite Flying Society

I. Am. So. Jealous.

Post subject: Re: David Sedaris On Tour
PostPosted: October 15th, 2003, 2:02 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

If you ever see Sedaris on tour, bring a sleeping bag for his signature afterwards. You'll be waiting a looooong time. He is so kind to his fans. In Washington, DC, it takes 40 minutes just to get 30 people past because he talks to anyone who wants to talk to him. The ushers are always trying to get him to sign faster and walk through the line telling people to keep their comments short, and noone ever listens. :-) He was kind enough to sign my book and take a picture with me so I'm not complaining. I've seen him twice (once alone, once with Sarah Vowell) and he is just awesome. I think someone already posted this link, but just so it stays fresh in the thread, here it is again: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://home.pacifier.com/~paddockt/sedaris.html">home.pacifier.com/~paddockt/sedaris.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

Post subject: Re: David Sedaris - cd
PostPosted: October 16th, 2003, 1:04 pm 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

A friend just bought me <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Live at Carnegie Hall</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> on cd, so not exactly on topic of books…but might be out on book…not sure, but did have time to find any other David S. threads. Sorry!

He says he knows I will just love it since I had a lot of DS other works on cd. Here is what I found, only a little helpful until I get time to pop the package and indulge:
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1586215647/ref=pe_snp647" target="top">www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1586215647/ref=pe_snp647 </a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->
<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->"There is a sense of well-being that comes from having a clear sense of life's meaning and a wholesome rhythm of labor, relaxation, and worship." text (Hutterites, Montana, 1987-1996) by Laura Wilson in "The Enclosed World"; APERTURE, Summer 1996 </p>

PostPosted: October 16th, 2003, 1:09 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Hey SusieQ, good to see you here! i knew you'll show up since our chest got heavier (wink-wink) couple of days ago.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2003, 2:06 pm 
Kite Flying Society

I just bought Me Talk Pretty today, and I don't expect to be social until it's done.

I am SO excited...

Post subject: me talk pretty
PostPosted: April 15th, 2004, 8:32 pm 
Voluntary patient

My friend gave me this at Christmas but I didn't have a subway ride to read it on... until now. I plowed through the first three stories today and...

Let us now praise David Sedaris. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. -mark twain
</p>

Post subject: Re: me talk pretty
PostPosted: April 15th, 2004, 8:38 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Amen.

Post subject: jlk
PostPosted: April 16th, 2004, 8:46 am 
Zero Out Here in the Car

i'm glad to see that there's a sedaris thread. just to let everyone know, his new book 'dress your family in corduroy and denim: essays' is going to be released on june 1, 2004. just thought you would all like to know because maybe you're looking forward to it as much as i am.

and about the audio tapes...yes! i totally dig the tapes of sedaris and he's the only author i can say that about. in fact, when this new book comes out, i'll probably get it on audio. i love just getting in my car and having the middle of a story pop on because it really doesn't matter where you start to catch the hilarity. i think i like picapocketoni from me talk pretty... the one where his boyfriend and he are on the subway and the stranger thinks they're french and can't speak english...it's a good one.

Post subject: Re: jlk
PostPosted: April 16th, 2004, 8:50 am 
Kite Flying Society

He and his sister, Amy, were in EW's top 25 funny people about a month ago.
I haven't actually read any of his stuff, but I've listened to all of "Me talk pretty one day". Love it.

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.sedarishardwoodfloors.com/" target="top">Silly P</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.youcantkilltherooster.com/" target="top">You can't kill the rooster</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->

Too bad they don't have fatboy sizes. That's my favorite story.

<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->
"One great Rock Show can change the world" - Dewey Finn (Jack Black) in "School of Rock"</p>

Post subject: Re: jlk
PostPosted: April 16th, 2004, 10:42 am 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

If I was computer savy I would put the picture up here myself, but since I'm not, go to Yahoo and search under images for David Sedaris. There is this great picture of Amy Sedaris and him striking an action pose, both dressed in form fitting black outfits. David Sedaris is wearing a monkey mask.
(Do you have to be computer savy to put a picture on here? Probably not. I've just never done it before.)

Edited by: I just ate a frozen oatmeal cookie at: 4/16/04 9:43 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2006, 1:44 am 
Kite Flying Society

Pretty good new story on This American Life a couple of weeks ago. I enjoy his mini radio plays with animals.
Cat and Mouse (About a half hour in-click on the real player icon.)

I also like this onefrom nine years ago quite a bit.

Post subject: Off so see Sedaris
PostPosted: April 8th, 2006, 7:26 pm 
Ten minutes till departure! Can't wait to hear some new stories and some old ones too. David Sedaris tonight at the Civic Theatre in Akron Ohio.