* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently May 23rd, 2018, 2:47 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Gift recommendations.
PostPosted: December 15th, 2004, 5:06 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Are you trying as hard as I am to buy for someone and wanting to buy it for yourself? Yeah. I know. (And we can't afford to buy it for either of us, eh?)

But look what I found. I'd never heard of it. Sounds fun. And interesting. And it's cheap! Treat yourself! And a friend!

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>jokes told in heaven about babies ~ by lucy thomas, 2003</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

This is a tiny, tiny little book, it's spine as narrow as a sparrow's. Which is good, because you should read its 32 pages all at once, because the shape of the narrative, which at first seems to be somewhat random, maybe even ridiculous, begins to skate down into the arc you didn't even see forming, and if you see it you will get how tender, how sad, how terrifically gorgeous this little skinny book is.

If Lucy Thomas was your friend and you read these skinny stories she had been writing you'd say "Oh my god. You have to publish these!" Well, McSweeney's did and you get to read them. They are of a particular sensibility, but a sensibility that I think is a very good one to have. If you don't get it, I don't know how to explain it to you.

There are also pale green and cream line drawings of piers which are an odd mixture of jaunty and forlorn - much as this book is. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Available at <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.firstcutbooks.com" target="top">First Cut Books indie online bookstore.</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->

Totally to give them a plug, they wrap stuff pretty. It's a little better than receiving the ole Amazon box full of air pillows and shrink wrap.

Books aren't discounted as they are at Amazon, though, as you might have guessed. They're selling Eggers' new one for $22 while Amazon has it for $15.

And if you're not buying, there are nice reviews there. I just like the site for kicking around. The one above isn't the best example. Or even a good example. :\ You're gonna have to trust me.

On edit: Pricing note for this particular booklet. It's $8 at Amazon and First Cut, both. So there may be some worth to checking both, especially if they're McSweeney titles.

Another edit: This one is more like it. Just for the last sentence. I like the personal goof touch there. (I'm so easy.)

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>mcsweeney's quarterly concern, issue no. 11 ~ ed. by dave eggers</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

Well, either the good folks at McSweeney's are having a good laugh at you collector-completist-acquisitionist fanatics, or Oddi Printing really didn't have enough of one color of leather to cover the entire print run. Either way, there are 4 different color combinations of the cover: dark brown with gold embossing, black with gold embossing, pumpkin with black embossing, and blue with gold embossing.

I only have black and brown left . You may select a color below, or, if you believe in the element of surprise and are more interested in what's between the covers (Joyce Carol Oates, Tom Bissell, Sean Warren, Samatha Hunt, Robert Olmstead, T.C. Boyle, David Means, Doug Dorst, A.G. Pasquella, Brent Hoff, Stephen Elliott, Daphne Beale, Denis Johnson, and many others, plus a FREE DVD!!) then leave it to chance.

You are so excited.

{293 pages} {hardcover} $28<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->"James Bond is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it." Jed Bartlet.</p>Edited by: highwaters at: 12/15/04 3:25 pm

Post subject: Re: Gift recommendations.
PostPosted: August 7th, 2005, 8:49 am 
Kite Flying Society

Fair warning, I've been to First Cut this morning.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>ex libris ~ by anne fadiman</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

Before you dismiss this as another book "for the booklover" or "for the bookworm", or one that could be accompanied by a silver bookmark with engraved cats, let me finish. It's not just for people wearing t-shirts that say "a book is a gift you can open again and again". It's about you. You who have read all your life and accumulated books faster than dust, who reads cereal boxes at breakfast and the shampoo bottle in the shower, who proofreads menus and signs. You who maybe religiously folds down the corners of pages (agghhh - no!) or considers such practices horrifying (as you well should!).

Ex Libris is all about the particularities developed during a life-long love affair with books - peculiarities you will no doubt recognize if you know your stuff. Whether writing about marrying libraries, inscriptions on a flyleaf, or building castles out of books, Anne Fadiman reveals a wit and style that's honest, unaffected, and irresistible.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

That one seems sweet, yeah? I liked the first sentence about the bookmark. I like that reviewer, name's Lucia Silva, she writes a lot of their blurbs.

And I like this thing below, too. It's supercheap on Amazon, but full price still at Changing hands. I read a couple of pages and couldn't stop being alternately (at times simultaneously) amused and annoyed by <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Bullshit</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->, Harry G. Frankfurt's tiny book about ... well, about bullshit.

I took this from Amazon's write-up:

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>This compact little book, as pungent as the phenomenon it explores, attempts to articulate a theory of this contemporary scourge--what it is, what it does, and why there's so much of it. The result is entertaining and enlightening in almost equal measure. It can't be denied; part of the book's charm is the puerile pleasure of reading classic academic discourse punctuated at regular intervals by the word "bullshit."<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I'm sorry, you should see this coming: Why "compact little book" there? I mean, why use both adjectives there? Maybe for the people who think the smaller Jeeps fit into the compact car spaces at the mall. Okay, nevermind, I can let that one go.

On edit,

I always seem to find just one more.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>giraffes? giraffes! ~ by dr. & mr. doris haggis-on-whey, 2003</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

Did you know that giraffes' patches act as intergalactic receptors? Or that most of the giraffes live in Terre Haute, Indiana, migrate using giant escalators, and control over 90% of what we see in mirrors? They also do not believe in snap buttons, shoes with velcro, or certain unleavened breads. All these unknown facts and MORE can be found in <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Giraffes? Giraffes!</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->, the first reference book to set the record straight on the highly secret world of giraffes. Filled with completely fabricated and wacky "facts", lavishly illustrated with misleading diagrams, photographs and maps, and bound into a gloriously oversized design extravaganza, <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Giraffes? Giraffes!</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> is the ideal gift for intelligent children ages 7-11 (providing they have a good sense of humor).<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I must have it. I like the way they titled it, and I think it's the perfect example to follow the section on <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Bullshit</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->. (Some B.S. is good and fun.) Eheh -- 'the highly secret world of giraffes' -- I like that Lucia Silva person. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> I wish I had a million dollars ... HOT daaaawg!</p>Edited by: highwaters at: 8/7/05 7:58 am

Post subject: Gift for YOU.
PostPosted: August 7th, 2005, 9:07 am 
Kite Flying Society

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>lucky jim ~ by kingsley amis, 1953</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

People often speak about laughing out loud, as though most laughing is done in silence, some sort of internal biological reaction to humor. There it is on the back of some benign book, maybe by Candace Bushnell, staring you in the face. “Laugh-out-loud funny!” the critic for The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports, as if though those hyphens make it that much funnier. There ought to be a section in the bookstore for these books. Or maybe a sub-section – funny books, and laugh-out-loud funny books.

I am here to tell you that Kingsley Amis’s Lucky Jim is not laugh-out-loud funny. It is not pee-your-pants funny. It is not don’t-read-this-on-the-bus-unless-you-want-people-to-think-you’re-crazy funny, either. Rather, it is the-funniest-book-I-have-ever-read funny. I will not quote a single line from the book in support of this—it really isn’t that kind of funny—but I will point out that Christopher Hitchens has my back on this one. He wrote an article in <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Atlantic Monthly</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> last year attesting that <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Lucky Jim</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> is the funniest book of the last half-century, and he didn’t even use hyphens to say it. While a skeptic might point out Hitchens’s longtime friendship with Amis’s son Martin and cry “Foul!”, I cannot. I cannot because I have read Lucky Jim, and I have laughed – in silence and out loud.

<!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Lucky Jim</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> is the tale of junior professor Jim Dixon, a clumsy man who stumbles through life hoping to win the favor of his idiotic superiors. Dixon, as is he is referred to throughout the book, is full of bitterness for those who he perceives to hold power over him: his moronic superiors at the university, a female colleague with whom he has had a brief and ill-advised love affair, even his landlady, who he believes is plotting against him. Dixon is paranoid to be sure, but he is also right about the majority of these people. They are idiots.

<!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Lucky Jim</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> is a parlor room comedy updated for the Twentieth Century. It is full of plots that backfire at just the wrong time and unlikely couplings that threaten to destroy the society in which they occur. Amis humiliates Dixon again and again, providing the kind of cringe-inducing scenes that make this book such a delight. It is a miracle of great writing that the reader sympathizes with Dixon, a man who in a different light is merely a conniving bungler. It is a rare author that can achieve such a feat. Jane Austen does it very well, and here, in <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">Lucky Jim</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END-->, Kingsley Amis does it as well, perhaps better than anyone before or since. It is, simply put and without hyphens, a damn funny book.

{Patrick Brown} <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

First of all, how can we not support a writer named Kingsley?

Second, I left the Patrick Brown in there because he's my favorite reviewer, and he's not with 'em anymore apparently. (He did the 'Filthy' journal about pitching? For you way-back-machine Racers.)

Third, it sounds like a crazy mean sort of funny. I love the title, though. I want this one, too. I want all books, now please!

<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> I wish I had a million dollars ... HOT daaaawg!</p>

Post subject: Re: Gift for YOU.
PostPosted: August 7th, 2005, 12:05 pm 
Kite Flying Society

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Ex Libris is all about the particularities developed during a life-long love affair with books - peculiarities you will no doubt recognize if you know your stuff.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
Must. Have. Book!!!

I was up at 2 am last night making new spines for my school library books not because anyone has ever complained about the old spines, but simply because I cannot stand the way the old tape-repaired spines felt. I repeatedly said to the teachers, "Look at this tape! It's icky! It gives off a yellow powder and the kids can't read the titles!" The teachers' reactions? ". . . . "

And I've been known to poke my kids in public and hiss: "Look at that person! <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em> He's folding back the cover of his paperback!" </em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

PostPosted: August 7th, 2005, 6:22 pm 
Kite Flying Society

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The teachers' reactions? ". . . . "<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I am laughing so hard right now. I heart you, Dudlers! You're exactly who I thought of when I read that. :D

I bought a used paperback last week, and when I went to find something to clip the page, I found it had been dog-eared on the page I stopped. So I folded it where the damage had already been done, but it hurt a little.

I went to my local Changing Hands bookstore today, to inspect <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Giraffes? Giraffes!</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. I couldn't find it because they kept it in Humor, not Juvie. I got to say the title aloud, as it's punctuated. The lady was most helpful and totally amused. It's wonderful, and there's another similar to it called <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Your Disgusting Head</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->. I think we all know what Caryn's getting for her birthday.

The first sentence says something close to this below, which I will call a paraphrase:

This book is about giraffes, or GIRAFFES.

Hee! All scientific for the all-caps version. It's really cool. Caryn's a little bit into the gen-sci, so she's going to love them. I haven't seen her read all summer. Makes me sad.

Also, I found an ancient paper back of Lucky Jim. The cover price was $1.45, and the used book price was $4. I gave the lady one of these: :spock , and she laughed and said, "I know! But that's what it'd go for now!"

I'm going to buy the two books for Caryn via the First Cut Books site. Although, they might have to SO one of them, so maybe just the one. They were full priced at my local indie, and I like to spread it around a little if I can.

They won't be selling books sometime in the coming months. Gotta try for my last bookmark and special fancy wrapping. I'll miss them! Lucia wrote me a note when I inquired about a replacement copy of <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Filthy</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->, and she mentioned that they were going to stick around, but only as a review and recommendation site.

She's going to review books for NPR's Morning Edition! :martini

Good book day. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> I wish I had a million dollars ... HOT daaaawg!</p>

PostPosted: September 10th, 2005, 5:33 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

I just bought the same gift for two different people at a bookstore, and they both have loved it. It's a 10 year journal. Each page has one day (example: February 10) and then 10 blocks of five lines labeled with each year, so you have ten years worth of February 10 memories. It's really easy to keep up with because you only have to write one or two lines of something that happened to you that day. I'm on Year 2 in mine and it's already fun to go back and look what I wrote in the same year, and even more fun to know what I was doing a year ago on that day. You can get one at just about any major bookstore.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2005, 10:24 pm 
Fucking Innocent

that's a really good idea! <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->
how did an asshole like bob get such a great kitchen?</p>

PostPosted: December 11th, 2005, 10:59 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

Here is the Amazon link to the <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0975407317/qid=1134356258/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-6264895-8662353?s=books&v=glance&n=283155" target="top">10 Year Journal</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> I mentioned earlier. I highly recommend this gift if you are still looking for XMas gifts. Customer (or rather, people on my birthday/holiday lists) approved.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2005, 3:28 am 
Wants to be a Tenenbaum

So, just so I'm sure. You write in it every day for 10 years or you write in it once a month for ten years? <p><!--EZCODE CODE START--><pre> <!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--></pre><!--EZCODE CODE END-->If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, 'cause man, they're gone.</p>

PostPosted: December 12th, 2005, 7:13 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>So, just so I'm sure. You write in it every day for 10 years or you write in it once a month for ten years? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

You write in it every day for 10 years. Each day only has 5 lines to write in, so it doesn't take much more than two sentences to fill up one day. There are extra spaces if you want to write more, but it's really easy to keep up. I have started and stopped journals so many times in my life. This is the first one I've managed to keep going.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2005, 11:37 am 
Kite Flying Society

Y'know what? That's one low-pressure journal.

That's a pretty kickass idea, not such a looming thing to do! It's more like just ... Q-tipping your ear. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> I wish I had a million dollars ... HOT daaaawg!</p>