* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently June 24th, 2018, 8:39 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: SPOILERS!!!
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 6:16 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Unless you have finished the book, shoo.

This will be for when you are done. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

Post subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: SPOILERS!!!
PostPosted: July 17th, 2005, 9:56 pm 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

all Bob will say is that while Harry and Ginny was a wise hook-up, Harry should end up with Hermione. Their babies would be ultimate wizards and Emma Watson is way hot. screw ron.

r.i.p. alby dumbledore (though you're fate was not identical to your early on-screen counterpart richard harris, you are both dead.)

PostPosted: July 18th, 2005, 1:08 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

I liked this book a hell of a lot more than Book 5. I was happy to see everyone grow so much.

I freely admit that I teared up. I did not see that death happening at all. Amazing.

And yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that Snape might turn good one last time whenever Book 7 happens.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2005, 11:28 pm 
Kite Flying Society

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that Snape might turn good one last time whenever Book 7 happens.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
Yes, me too, Mason. My proof? When Snape could have killed Flitwick at the end, he didn't. I think Dumbledore sacrificed himself to keep Snape's cover.

I liked this one much better than Phoenix, too. I felt there was more plot, and twists, and answers. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

PostPosted: July 19th, 2005, 7:45 am 
Kite Flying Society

You guys already finished reading it? God, I sometimes need more than one week for a 200-page-book. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->"When I was a little kid I wanted to know what caused thunder."
</p>

PostPosted: July 19th, 2005, 8:29 am 
Kite Flying Society

The Book forum is soooo quiet. Is everyone reading HP this week? I have a funny feelin'! <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--> <!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:navy;font-family:times new roman;font-size:x-small;">"And that's the whole idea of the film: it's a fake documentary; it's about fake secrecy. It's really important to me that it's all transparent, all totally coy. It's about what happens when you keep secrets, because they're transparent anyhow. Things will come out one way or another, and just because they come out doesn't mean they are true." - Jennifer Montgomery</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></p>

PostPosted: July 19th, 2005, 1:12 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

I have a feeling that SNape made an Unbreakable Vow with Dumbledore, which allowed him to make the Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy. Also, like you mentioned, he didn't kill Flitwick, and he knew damn well that Harry was using his book but didn't go more.

But I have to admit, I didn't actually think about this until after Snape yelled "DONT YOU CALL ME A COWARD!"

Oh, and I have a twelve year old to thank for pointing out to me that once again Trelawney isnt completely bonkers. Her babbling with the deck of cards actually proved right. Remember, she is going on about whats happening and then she looks at the card and goes "That can't be right."

PostPosted: July 19th, 2005, 5:44 pm 
Kite Flying Society

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Oh, and I have a twelve year old to thank for pointing out to me that once again Trelawney isnt completely bonkers.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
Hee. You mean when she sees a "dark haired man who doesn't care for here nearby" and Harry is really hiding by her? That gave me a giggle.

Yer not alone in the help from the young 'uns, LMason; my thirteen-year-old daughter pointed something out to <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>me.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> I told her that even though I always suspected Harry and Ginny would get together, it seemed like Harry's feeling changed for her kind of suddenly. The DudleyGirl pointed out that when Harry smelled the love potion in Slughorn's first class, it smelled like Ginny. I pointed out that it smelled like the Burrow, she corrected me that it smelled "flowery like the Burrow," and that Harry later smelled Ginny's "flowery" perfume.

I'm agreeing with you on Snape making an Unbreakable Vow with Dumbledore. And I didn't catch that about Snape yelling about not being a coward; you're right, it could have two meanings. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

PostPosted: July 19th, 2005, 7:50 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> Hee. You mean when she sees a "dark haired man who doesn't care for here nearby" and Harry is really hiding by her? That gave me a giggle<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Nope. I got this on from the DiagonAlley forum. On page 195-196, when Harry overhears her going over the deck of cards:

Two of Spades: Conflict
Seven of Spades: An ill omen
Ten of spades: Violence
Knav of Spades: A dark young man, possible troubled, one who dislikes the questioner...
and then she stops and says (obviously looking at the next card in the deck) "that can't be right."

This is obviously referring to Dumbledore's death in retrospect.

Then on p406, when Hagrid is referring to Snape and Dumbledore arguing, he mentions Snape might be feeling overworked and doesn't want to do *it* anymore. And DUmbledore "told him flat out he'd agreed ter do it an' that was all there was to it."

I'm changing my mind about the Vow. If Dumbledore is dead, then Snape wouldn't have to fulfill it anymore. But I definitely think he made one with someone else (one person mentioned an infant Harry Potter.)

I reread the last part, and Snape is definitely teaching Harry at the end: "BLocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter!"

Also, I'm pretty sure R.A.B. is Regulus Black. Rowling wouldn't have included all the stuff in ORder about the locket that noone could open, all the stuff about Kreacher, and the stealing of stuff from Grimmauld place if it didn't have significance to the story.

She's good, that Rowling.

Edited by: LMason at: 7/19/05 6:53 pm

PostPosted: July 19th, 2005, 9:29 pm 
Kite Flying Society

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Knave of Spades: A dark young man, possible troubled, one who dislikes the questioner...
and then she stops and says (obviously looking at the next card in the deck) "that can't be right."

This is obviously referring to Dumbledore's death in retrospect.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
That was the part I quoted badly. I thought that the "dark young man" was referring to Harry, was was hiding right there and is no fan of Trelawny. But later, Trelawny does talk about something happening on the tower, didn't she?

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Also, I'm pretty sure R.A.B. is Regulus Black. Rowling wouldn't have included all the stuff in Order about the locket that no one could open, all the stuff about Kreacher, and the stealing of stuff from Grimmauld place if it didn't have significance to the story.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->
Ooo, good one! I was thinking Amelia Bones. (Mebbe she had an "R" first name, and went by her middle name of Amelia?) But your idea is better.

I've got to reread the book!

<p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

PostPosted: July 20th, 2005, 6:47 am 
Team Zissou

I haven't read this thread but I am half way through the book.
It is sooo good so far!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2005, 11:45 am 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

I was thinking Regulus Black, too. In the last book it said something about him changing his mind about being a Death Eater and being killed as a result.

This book was quite excellent.

Post subject: Gryff Horcrux?
PostPosted: August 6th, 2005, 1:46 pm 

Alrights, stay with me... Harry's got to be the Gryff Horcrux, yeah? When he killed James and Lily, and instilled it into Harry. I feel good about it...

Post subject: Re: Gryff Horcrux?
PostPosted: August 6th, 2005, 5:49 pm 
Kite Flying Society

We've been discussing this in the Dudley household. Wouldn't that mean Harry would have to die? I cannot believe Mizz Rowling would kill off Harry.

But maybe you're right, and when Voldemort took some of his blood in Goblet, maybe that would <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>nullify</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> or something the Horcrux dealie? (Remember Dumbledore's "gleam of triumph" when Harry told him about the blood?) <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->Mandingo. I grock your mouth music. -- The Tick</p>

Post subject: Horcrux
PostPosted: August 6th, 2005, 6:17 pm 

It seems like the only way that Voldy could ensure that he wouldn't die, even by the hands of Harry.