* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently February 17th, 2018, 7:29 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Favorite Book?
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 12:39 am 
Team Zissou

(Sorry if there was a topic on this somewhere...I searched for it with the "search" option thingie but nothin came up.)

If you had to pick ONE favorite book, one that you couldn't stop thinking about loooong after you've read it...what would it be??

It's going to be a boring summer for me and I'm looking to read an amazing book, but don't know what to get. Reading is a "once in a blue moon" event for me, so I'd really want to enjoy it.

Probably my fav is 1984 (and it was my last book read...last summer ;-) ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 5:19 am 
Zero Out Here in the Car

Totaly ignoring the "if you had to pick ONE favorite book"-rule ;-) - here's my list of some books I'd read and have read more then once (and which kept me thinking during and after every reading):

The following books by Philip K. Dick:
1. The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch
2. A Scanner Darkly
3. Ubik
4. Martian Time-Slip
+ the biography by Lawrence Sutin

The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner
The Stars My Destination (a.k.a. Tiger, Tiger) by Alfred Bester
The Wasp Factory and The Bridge by Iain Banks
Ulysses by James Joyce
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
The Dark Tower books by Stephen King

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 6:48 pm 
A friend of a friend

Graham Greene, The Comedians. The Quiet American is also quite good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 6:58 pm 
Jacked by the IRS

if i had to pick just one book, i'd def pick wuthering heights by emily bronte. yeah, i know, kind of a boring choice, but i read it when i was about 10 for the first time, and it's made such an impression on me. i've read it dozens of times since, and it's still as powerful to me.

there are tons of books i really really like, but i'm not gonna make a list now. i used to read, on average, about 60/70 books a year. now i'm struggling to finish one for more than a month. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 1:16 am 
Team Zissou

about 60/70 books a year.

That is the most insane thing I've ever heard, are you serious!?! Struggling with one book a month is even hard to believe...

I guess I'm more of a visual kinda person so that's why when I decide I want to read a book, it better damn well be good since I read maybe 1 or 2 books a year, and it's all during the summer.

IN fact, these are the only books I can even remember reading...ever:

Sphere
Slaughter House Five
War of the Worlds
A Scanner Darkly
Choke
Jurassic Park (never finished it, I was excited when the movie came out)
A Clockwork Orange
The Giver
Where the Red Fern Grows
Raptor Red
Sophie's Choice (partially...it was hard)
The Hobbit
A few Goosebump books back in the day
ummm...yup there may be a few more

Swordfishbone, a Scanner Darkly is great and I can't wait for the movie! I bought Naked Lunch about a year ago because I thought the criterion cover for the movie looked interesting enough to make me want to read the book but I never got around to it. I ended up selling it to my friend for like 5 bucks. Never heard of the comedians edward, outta the loop here.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 4:24 am 
Zero Out Here in the Car

MisterLittleJeans Wrote:Swordfishbone, a Scanner Darkly is great and I can't wait for the movie!

Yeah, and I'm perfectly sure that this movie will kick butt! I'm optimistic that they don't screw with the ending...would be a bummer if they'd make it more "optimistic" or hollywood-ish, just to please the not-Dickian-crowd.

You should realy give those other Philip K. Dick books (in my list) a shot. Especially "3 Stigmata" & Ubik are mindblowing in terms of "What the hell is going on?" and "What is real?". Just like Scanner, but more sci-fi.

Oh and morrigan: 60-70 books in a year (in the past)? That's quite somethin'. A few years ago, I read like a maniac as well...or so I thought. Because it was like 20-30 books a year, not 70. I wish I had that same passion for books again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 6:35 am 
Jacked by the IRS

yeah... it did go up to about 60/70 some years... the thinner books i read in a day or so (like catcher in the rye or brave new world i read in about 7/8 hours), then the thicker ones in a few days, or a week. there's like 50 weeks in a year, so if you think about it it's not that much really...

i mostly read classics though, like dickens, and james, and austen. often i would read the same book three or four times, if i liked it. shakespeare i read i think almost every day even now. a sonnet a day, minimum, because shakespeare is like GREAT! same with dickinson and tennyson.

the last book i read and finished was last tales by isak dinesen. it took me over a month, although i loved every word of it. oh, and i forgot to mention of love and shadows by isabel allende which i read in the dulles airport a month ago.

i can't read anything for the past 5 months or so, and am desperately trying to get back into the habit. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 5:05 am 
Operation Hennessey

I probably read 50+ books a year, depending on work and what else captures my interests. It's just about finding the time, or more appropriately making the time.

As far as favorites, I'd say William Gibson's Pattern Recognition is one that's awesome. I also love the Dune books (the ones by Frank Herbert, not the subsequent fan fiction by his son), Kerouac's The Dharma Bums, most Hemingway and Salinger and Microserfs by Douglas Coupland.

I could go on for days honestly, but those are among my favs. Maybe throw in the Tao Te Ching if you're feeling spiritual.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Book?
PostPosted: June 28th, 2007, 7:57 pm 
Zero Out Here in the Car

I don't read as often as I like to. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but sometimes I feel like I spend more time worrying about what to read than I do actually reading. I think novel writing is an art form that very few people can do well. I'm extremely picky and have read almost nothing I like.

Here are the few writers that do something for me: Eugene O'Neill (its plays but it counts since I've never seen a performance), Hermann Hesse, Sylvia Plath, and J.D. Salinger

No one else has impressed me too much. I tend to like films more.

As far as my favorite book, probably Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf. I highly recomment it.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2008, 8:26 am 
Zero Out Here in the Car

'The picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde. Funny, intelligent, great plotline! Also try Wilde's short stories, well actually anything written by Oscar Wilde, he surely was a genius.

Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 12:07 pm 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

One that I like very much is Motel Chronicles by Sam Shepard.