* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 1:54 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Moonrise Kingdom -- PREviews and REviews -- spoilers allowed
PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 10:50 pm 
A friend of a friend

If you've got a media item that is more general and newsie and teaser, please throw the Blank Slate Racers a bone in the MK MEDIA (etc.) that disallows spoilers. Otherwise, thank you for keeping them kosher and posting your tell-all item here.

Post subject: Re: Moonrise Kingdom -- PREviews and REviews -- spoilers all
PostPosted: May 16th, 2012, 7:58 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Without being too specific, I can't imagine anyone here being disappointed with the film. It's unlike anything Wes had done so far, both story-wise and aesthetically. There seems to be a definite influence from working in animation, and there are shades of TLA and TRT in the film, but it's definitely somewhat new territory for him. It seems like this film, and FMF are more of a singular adventure type movie than the bigger, more expansive stories from the first few films of his. There's so much I want to talk about, and when the film comes out I'm sure many others will as well.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 3:01 am 
Kite Flying Society

Adventure stories, or 'bottle rockets' do serve Wes well. He said once that he thought of his films as fables.. I think MK will have that feel, for sure.

PS, WHERE IS THE ACTION HAPPENING? We need new members to keep this board alive!

http://www.last.fm/user/stretchpallana

PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 11:18 am 
Operation Hennessey

It finally came to my neck of the woods.

I didn't dislike it, but I don't totally love it on par with his first 4 films.

He seemed to use CGI more than ever. TLA had a lot of effects, but they were done the old fashioned way - stop motion.

The teenage love/beach sequence made me feel pretty uncomfortable. I wonder how this plays with actually teenagers/preteens?

Why is this board not more active? When I checked Forum on Rushmore Academy it didn't link to here - the sites are affiliated, right? I just happened to remember the name of the board even though I have not checked in since 2009.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2012, 6:41 am 
A Tenenbaum

4 posts on this movie? Really? Maybe it has something to do with how much trouble it was for me to log in here. Either way, I thought I was late to the party but apparently not...the party ended several years ago or something. I haven't been here for years myself.
So anyway, Moonrise Kingdom finally opened in Australia last Thursday and I saw it today. Yes, back in the day I would have seen a new Wes film on opening day...but things change.

This is actually the first live-action Wes film I have seen in cinema release since The Royal Tenenbaums all those years ago. And in fact TRT was the first one I saw in cinema release, now that I think about it. I was living in Japan for the past 3 Wes movies and never saw them showing anywhere near me. I saw Mr Fox at the cinema on a trip back home but that wasn't really a Wes film for me.

Anyway, Moonrise I think is the best one I've seen since TRT. I've only seen it the once and so probably missed 90% of the detail. I have to say I found parts of it quite creepy -- not the dancing in underwear scene, but the part where the 12 year old girl says she likes the 12 year old boy's erection! And then the 12 year olds get "married"! But I saw it with my parents who are in their 70s and they loved it, which surprised me a little. Maybe I'm the only prude in the family, being 40 and unmarried. Whatever.

I also found Jason S. a bit creepy in this film. A paedophile scout master waiting to happen. And I wondered why Wes had to cast his brother when the man, while being a talented illustrator, can not act his way out of a paper bag. When he was in scenes with Harvey Keitel I really had to cringe. If he wanted to cast a brother, why not a Wilson brother? At least those guys can act (or if not act then at least appear natural on camera).

I was also irritated and jealous (yes, I am childish) that Wes dedicated the movie to his girlfriend. OK, whatever. I was also jealous when he cast his girlfriend at the time in TRT as the plane crash dead wife of Chas.

But now that i have my complaints out of the way, I think there is a lot to investigate in this film, and I will have to have multiple viewings. On a purely gut level, it worked for me. It wasn't as mawkish and sentimental as some moments in his other films. And even though it was weird even by my standards and the standards of a Wes film, it didn't seem as self-consciously weird as, say, Life Aquatic or Darjeeling, which seemed at times like Wes movie pastiches.

Though I did notice the Dignan moment when Ed Norton said "He flew the coop!".

This was the first time I cried in a Wes film. In his others, especially Rushmore and TRT, I felt deeply, but I didn't actually cry. I cried in this when the girl ran away with her kitten in a box. That was me. I had to run away from the nuclear disaster in Fukushima last year. I ran away with just a bag and my cats. And then I cried again when she showed her cans of kitten food. For the same reason. I ran away with my cats in a box and cans of kitten food too. Whew.

OK, well, that's all for today.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2012, 8:25 am 
A Tenenbaum

Oh yeah - and this is a good thing - I thought this film was more or less 'Margot and Richie Tenenbaum run away together (again) only this time they're not adopted siblings'.

I really need to see this film again ASAP. Way too much to take in at once. Too bad I live in the countryside and it's a big hassle to get to a theatre.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2012, 4:59 pm 
Operation Hennessey

diggindignan wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with how much trouble it was for me to log in here. .

Yes, I have had trouble logging in to this board several times over the years.
Wes Anderson is still pretty popular I would think, so there must be people talking about him somewhere. Unless it's just spread out to all kinds of boards instead of one focusing mainly on him.

It's kinda hard to do with directors since they sometimes take several years in between projects. I guess the same with bands, too.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2012, 5:50 am 
A Tenenbaum

But then I hadn't logged in for three years.

I used to be in another group in about 2001, The lawnwranglers. In fact I am still in it but it's even more deserted than this site.

Anyway I am glad someone else is still here!

BTW I really liked Punch Drunk Love too. I have the soundtrack somewhere.