* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 3:04 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Trailer!
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 4:50 pm 
Kite Flying Society

http://rushmoreacademy.com/2012/01/12/m ... om-trailer

What do you guys think of it? I have a few conflicted thoughts, but overall I think it'll probably be great.

Post subject: Re: Trailer!
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 5:36 pm 
Wants to be a Tenenbaum

Saw it on /Film about an hour ago and I dropped everything to watch it. Grabbed a conference room and showed it to another Anderson lover as well.

I LOVE the way this movie is looking. It reminds me of how excited I was for Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums, something I haven't felt since RT came out.

Loved everything, the look, the sounds, the new locations, the costumes, the actors look like they're having fun, and the dialogue doesn't sound forced.

#1 most anticipated movie for this year and we don't even have to wait that long! That's a good feeling.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 6:09 pm 
Wants to be a Tenenbaum

Loraxaeon wrote:
http://rushmoreacademy.com/2012/01/12/moonrise-kingdom-trailer

What do you guys think of it? I have a few conflicted thoughts, but overall I think it'll probably be great.

What were your conflicted thoughts about?

PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 9:38 pm 
Kite Flying Society

BOOM.

I also dropped everything to watch it. Favorite detail: Helvetica 55 sewn onto the tent.

The treehouse and the motorbike in the tree seem a bit more fanciful than wes has been in the past. The tree with the house especially had a Michel Gondry feel.

Also I was concerned about Bruce Willis fitting in the cast (just physically, I think he's got good comedic timing) but those glasses make it work.

http://www.last.fm/user/stretchpallana

PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 9:50 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Oh, and Futura appearances:

Sam's Junior Khaki hat, Sam's letterhead, boat from Fort Lebanon.

http://www.last.fm/user/stretchpallana

PostPosted: January 13th, 2012, 2:03 am 
Kite Flying Society

Magnus Rushlee wrote:
Loraxaeon wrote:

On first watch it seemed almost like someone making an Andersonian film, not an Anderson film. Some of it has to do with the look of the film. I saw (and mostly liked) the Richard Ayoade film "Submarine" a few months ago, and this struck me as similar to that in style and tone, or something like "Son of Rambow" (which I also mostly like), something that's inspired by Wes. Maybe because it's his first actual period piece, there's less of a fairy tale version of the modern world, and more of a sentimentalization of the past, and an overabundance of the kind of costume design and set dressing that has frequently been a point of criticism in the past. This is all a bit much to infer just from a trailer, but alas. I'm sure it'll be great and I'll love it. I just so loved the direction he was going with Hotel Chevalier and The Darjeeling Limited, where he kept kind of mining this very serious, very deep well of adult emotion that it's odd to see him essentially making an adventure comedy. I'm probably being incredibly unfair (I most certainly am), and there's a ton in the trailer I love, I'm just missing the awkwardness of the other stuff.

I will eat my words in May, assuredly.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2012, 5:32 pm 
Wants to be a Tenenbaum

Loraxaeon wrote:
Magnus Rushlee wrote:
Loraxaeon wrote:

On first watch it seemed almost like someone making an Andersonian film, not an Anderson film. Some of it has to do with the look of the film. I saw (and mostly liked) the Richard Ayoade film "Submarine" a few months ago, and this struck me as similar to that in style and tone, or something like "Son of Rambow" (which I also mostly like), something that's inspired by Wes. Maybe because it's his first actual period piece, there's less of a fairy tale version of the modern world, and more of a sentimentalization of the past, and an overabundance of the kind of costume design and set dressing that has frequently been a point of criticism in the past. This is all a bit much to infer just from a trailer, but alas. I'm sure it'll be great and I'll love it. I just so loved the direction he was going with Hotel Chevalier and The Darjeeling Limited, where he kept kind of mining this very serious, very deep well of adult emotion that it's odd to see him essentially making an adventure comedy. I'm probably being incredibly unfair (I most certainly am), and there's a ton in the trailer I love, I'm just missing the awkwardness of the other stuff.

I will eat my words in May, assuredly.

Aha. See, I think the reason I love it so much is for those reasons exactly. I'm SO happy to see that it doesn't have the same vibe that Darjeeling had, honestly. And I feel like the Andersonian look is inevitable now. That's something I was struggling with for a while, wanting him to just try something new. But now, I'm just glad that every couple of years I get to escape to his brand of filmmaking and this one, especially, looks like an upbeat adventure with all of the Anderson-esque essentials on board. Submarine and son of Rambow looked pretty promising.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2012, 10:20 pm 
Voluntary patient

I agree that it has more of a TRT vibe than of later films. And yeah there's a bit of magic realism going on but we've seen that in previous films (the underwater stuff in TLA...). I also think one can't juudge a film by its trailer, right?

I'm stoked!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2012, 2:42 pm 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

I think it's great to see the ways in which he is trying new things:

1. Aspect ratio- he hasn't shot 1.85 since Bottle Rocket.

2. 16 mm- you can feel the grain in this (and yes it does feel like Submarine, but that grainy quality was one of the best aspects of that movie).

4. Extra-wide shots- They're everywhere in this trailer. He was doing this some in Fantastic Mr. Fox, but now he's brought it to live action.

3. New font- yes, futura's still there as stretch has pointed out, but I think this script font (anybody know what it is?) demonstrates Wes saying, "Futura is me, but it's not this movie. Perhaps I'm more than just my Futura." That, my friends, is growth.

These are mere details for most viewers, but I'm sure they're grand, carefully contemplated adventures for Wes.

All the boys in their neckerchiefs, as well as that shot of the Sam and Suzy in the woods brings Au revoir les enfants to mind. Others have mentioned Pierrot le fou, and I see that some in the wide shots, that panning shot of Suzy with the water in the background, and just the whole young love on the run thing. Also this Norman Rockwell image was posted on a blog somewhere long before the trailer hit and it couldn't be more right on.

http://marathon-runner.org/NRPictures/B ... eEasel.jpg

What films or other potential influences are you reminded of when you see this trailer?

PostPosted: January 14th, 2012, 3:33 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Reuben the DJ wrote:
2. 16 mm- you can feel the grain in this (and yes it does feel like Submarine, but that grainy quality was one of the best aspects of that movie).

3. New font- yes, futura's still there as stretch has pointed out, but I think this script font (anybody know what it is?) demonstrates Wes saying, "Futura is me, but it's not this movie. Perhaps I'm more than just my Futura." That, my friends, is growth.

I don't know how I didn't catch that it's all 16mm. That explains so much of the look and also the ratio, also I feel dumb.

The font is a new font designed for the film by Jessica Hische. She's going to do a process blog sometime before the film comes out and we'll definitely post it on the front page. She also said the font will be commercially available one year after the film's release.