* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently May 22nd, 2018, 7:28 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Criterion Ever Happening? (Updated....it is.)
PostPosted: April 17th, 2008, 2:10 am 
Kite Flying Society

I may be a bit premature, but its been over 6 six months since Wes confirmed they were working on a dvd, and yet theres no sign of Bottle Rocket on Criterion's schedule through this June. I know criterion takes time with their dvds, and they only have a couple releases every month, but it does seem like the possiblity of the dvd actually happening is less and less. Criterion's scrapped titles before, perhaps this one was discarded?

Post subject: Re: Criterion Ever Happening?
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 10:06 pm 
Kite Flying Society

I just got this in my mail box from Criterion:

Quote:
Dear Criterion Collection Newsletter subscriber,

We’ve got some exciting news for this fall, and we wanted you to hear it first.

Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

Here’s what’s in the pipeline:

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket (!!!!!!)
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95. Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.

Enjoy spring!

Post subject: Re: Criterion Ever Happening? (Updated....it is.)
PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 2:15 pm 
Kite Flying Society

this is really, really awesome. just to clarify, bottle rocket is going to be on blu ray too?

i especially love that the prices for the blu ray won't be much higher.

http://www.last.fm/user/stretchpallana

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 2:27 pm 
Kite Flying Society

stretch wrote:
this is really, really awesome. just to clarify, bottle rocket is going to be on blu ray too?

i especially love that the prices for the blu ray won't be much higher.

It'll be on Blu Ray and Standard DVD in October.

Excited, I am.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 12:34 am 
A friend of a friend

http://www.rushmoreacademy.com/2008/08/15/criterion-bottle-rocket

Synopsis
Wes Anderson first illustrated his lovingly detailed, slightly surreal cinematic vision in this witty and warm portrait of three young middle-class misfits. Fresh out of a mental hospital, gentle Anthony (Luke Wilson) finds himself once again embroiled in the machinations of his best friend, elaborate schemer Dignan (Owen Wilson). With the aid of getaway driver Bob (Robert Musgrave), they develop a needlessly complex, mildly successful plan to rob a small bookstore—then go “on the lam.” Also featuring Lumi Cavazos as Inez, the South American housekeeper Anthony falls in love with, and James Caan as local thief extraordinaire Mr. Henry, Bottle Rocket is a charming, hilarious, affectionate look at the folly of dreamers. Shot against radiant southwestern backdrops, it’s the film that put Anderson and the Wilson brothers on the map.
Special Features

* - DIRECTOR-APPROVED DOUBLE-DISC SET SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman
* - Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
* - Commentary by director/co-writer Anderson and co-writer/actor Owen Wilson
* - The Making of “Bottle Rocket”: an original documentary by filmmaker Barry Braverman featuring Anderson, James L. Brooks, James Caan, Temple Nash Jr., Kumar Pallana, Polly Platt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Robert Musgrave, Richard Sakai, David and Sandy Wasco, Andrew and Luke and Owen Wilson, and Robert Yeoman
* - The original thirteen-minute black-and-white Bottle Rocket short film from 1992
* - Eleven deleted scenes
* - Anamorphic screen test, storyboards, location photos, and behind-the-scenes photographs by Laura Wilson
* - Murita Cycles, a 1978 short film by Braverman
* - The Shafrazi Lectures, no. 1: Bottle Rocket
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by executive producer James L. Brooks, an appreciation by Martin Scorsese, and original artwork by Ian Dingman

Film Info
91 minutes
Color
1.85:1
Dolby Digital 5.1
Anamorphic
English

About the Transfer
Bottle Rocket is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1. Black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for this format. Supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman, this new high-definition digital transfer was scanned on a Spirit 2K datacine from a 35 mm interpositive. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 4:13 am 
Kite Flying Society

Even after they announced it I wasn't sure, and for some reason seeing the artwork makes it definite. Awesome cover.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 10:50 am 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

Can I be the first one to bitch that Eric isn't doing the cover / artwork?

Ian Dingman seems like a nice enough guy, but c'mon! I'd rather have an entirely different style than this.

Granted, I'm overjoyed this is finally comming out and everything, but it's hard to fathom they why they couldn't get the director's brother to do it. Also, I hope the commentary with Owen was recorded together. Fantastic, though, really.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 2:34 pm 

It's a little ambiguous, but it looks like it says Ian Dingman's original artwork is in the insert and not on the cover. The cover is very Eric Chase Anderson-esque, and I doubt if he were unavailable they'd just get some other guy to imitate him. And why would the director's brother ever be unavailable?

PostPosted: August 17th, 2008, 3:05 am 
Kite Flying Society

All the work on Dingman's site is extremly similar to the cover, so I think we can assume he did it. Maybe Eric was busy?

PostPosted: August 18th, 2008, 11:34 am 
Kite Flying Society

is "Digman" a typo? I think wes has a real life friend named "Dignan."

Also, how's the blu-ray going to work? it looks like that version is one disc. does it still include all the extras? i think i remember (in terms of burning data do different kinds of discs) that blu ray holds much more data than a dvd. but maybe a film needs that for higher resolution video?

PS, SWEETSWEETSWEETSWEETSWEETSWEET!

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 11:13 am 
Jacked by the IRS

I really like the top half of the artwork, kinda wish the characters were on the back or something. I suppose they're there to break up the negative space, and get the names on the cover, but just the names would've been fine. As it is, they break up the symmetry, and give an odd weight to the bottom. Still, good color choices, and overall, it is massive, massive improvement over the old DVD art. And I was not expecting the double disc treatment. Wow. This makes me so, so happy.

As for Wes' friend named Dignan, that's Steven Dignan, who plays the bookstore stocker (Tommy?), during the robbery scene. He's also the DJ at the end of Rushmore.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 12:46 pm 
A friend of a friend

From Ian himself:

Quote:
Thanks for contacting me.

Criterion has updated their Bottle Rocket information pages since there seemed to be confusion to exactly what you're asking me about...

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=450

So yes, the artwork for Bottle Rocket was done by me. Eric was unfortunately not involved - I'm a fan of his work as well.

Best, Ian

http://www.iandingman.com/

PostPosted: August 19th, 2008, 1:01 pm 
Kite Flying Society

slint wrote:
As for Wes' friend named Dignan, that's Steven Dignan, who plays the bookstore stocker (Tommy?), during the robbery scene. He's also the DJ at the end of Rushmore.

"Who, Robbie?"

PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 11:01 am 
Jacked by the IRS

"Stockers! Stockers! Where're the other stockers!
"Who, Robbie? I think he's in literature."

Which brings us to the genesis of your name: "Where's the money! TALK, STRETCH!"

Man, I really do love me some Bottle Rocket. Too bad my wife is still unconvinced that we need to give our first son the middle name of Dignan. I guess I just need to lean in and tell her what Mr. Henry told Futureman. "You know, the world....needs dreamers."

PostPosted: August 20th, 2008, 1:47 pm 

Something I've always wondered is... Who drew that little picture of whitey tighties that is in Eli Cash's House/Apt? You know the one, above the fireplace...

Looking at Dingman's work, I wonder if it might have been him?
http://www.iandingman.com/artforsale/heart.html

Any thoughts?