* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently October 25th, 2014, 7:53 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: The English
PostPosted: November 28th, 2002, 6:15 am 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

I was wondering whats the score is with the English
being involved in Wes's scripts, music, characters etc
we have Royal & Raleigh described in the script as English, Eli's wife is also English, the British invasion tunes on the scores, casting auditions and location scouting for Rushmore in Britain, Olivia Williams as Miss Cross, Stepehn McCole as Magnus, Brian Cox and Dr Guggenheim.................its wicked that the English actresses/actors are'nt playing f'ing bad guys in action movies for a change!

Has Wes got English family or is he just inspired by the Music etc..............whats the answer anyone know?

Post subject: Re: The English
PostPosted: November 28th, 2002, 11:03 am 
Kite Flying Society

Eli was an assistant professor of English Literature at Brooks College.

from the script:
Front room of Eli's house was "furnished like a house in the English countryside, with antiques and potted flowers and old rugs".

Sabrina, Eli's wife, was written as English too, and at the end she and the children "went back to England". An evidence that Sabrina was written for Olivia Williams?

Also, Miss Cross was changed into English for Olivia Williams. And Max wanted to go to Oxford.

Woody, where did you find a reference that Royal was English? On his mother's portrait she wears a WWI nurse uniform. That's the only reference i see.

Hmm, the English trend is obviously there, but what inspired it? You know, just recently i thought that it would be nice if Wes will have more of English actors in his films.

And you don't have to have an English family to like all things British. I do too, maybe that was one of the reasons i ended up in Canada.

<p>"Say a prayer for Surf Boy. Wherever he is."</p>

Post subject: Hey Jude
PostPosted: November 28th, 2002, 11:46 am 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

Thanks for your comments HeyJude, The comment about Royal being English is either from the script or the DVD extras I have read & watched both this week, so its still fresh, ill have a look tonight and let you know which.

Im English myself and wouldnt mind being in one of his films, I understand that he doesnt have to have an English family to be interested in England (it was a bit of a stupid comment) Im just interested to find out where his interests come from as it unusual fthat he references it so much

Cheers
Woody

Post subject: Re: Brits
PostPosted: November 28th, 2002, 1:12 pm 
Kite Flying Society

From the Rushmore liner notes:

"I originally wanted to score the whole movie of 'Rushmore' with songs by the Kinks. I thought this made sense because the Kinks played loud, angry, teenage rock songs, and they wore blazers and ties; and our movie is about a teenager who is loud and angry, and he is almost never seen without his blazer and tie (until he switches to a green velvet suit). I eventually expanded this concept to include the whole British invasion, because they all basically dressed like that." --WA <p>"How interesting! How bizarre!"</p>