* Login   * Register
Problems? Questions? Contact edwardappleby@yankeeracers.org!

Last visit was:
It is currently November 26th, 2014, 5:45 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Fantastic Mr. Fox
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 3:03 am 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

It seems as though speculation was correct:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=6964

Revolution & Anderson Adapting Mr. Fox
Source: Variety October 29, 2004

Revolution Studios and Wes Anderson will turn Roald Dahl's The Fantastic Mr. Fox into a stop-motion animated feature, reports Variety. Sony Pictures will distribute the movie.

Anderson will write the script with Noah Baumbach, his partner on The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. Anderson also will direct this first animated film for him and for Revolution.

The book tells the story of a crafty fox who finds himself and his family targeted for death by the three dumb, plug-ugly farmers who tire of sharing their chickens with the critter.

However, 'tis a shame to see that Anderson will be leaving Touchstone for Revolution Studios, as this will almost certainly mean an end (at least temporarily) to the wonderful Criterion Collection editions of his films (Touchstone and Criterion are both subsidiaries of Buena Vista Entertainment which is, of course, owned by the Disney Corporation). Nothing lasts forever I suppose...

Nevertheless, the film should be fascinating, as it contains one of Dahl's most complicated, cunning, and challenging characters. This novella is a wonderful allegory with intelligent social commentary peppered throughout, and (due to its short length) should almost certainly be enhanced by the literary charms of both Anderson and Baumbach. Please keep in mind the post from earlier this year (September, I believe) from the New York Times that details Anderson's journey to the Gipsy House, home of Dahl and all of his masterworks. With the enormous amount of respect that he has for Dahl (especially seeing as how he has been enraptured by his works since childhood), one can only imagine just what sort of magic Anderson has conjured up his sleeve, ready to share with the rest of us...

One would also believe that Henry Selick will almost positively be on board as well to aid in the construction of the picture. But this is only, of course, speculation, which means that it is neither here nor there in the grande reality of this project.

And for those of you who have not yet read Fantastic Mr. Fox, please do yourself a favor and pick it up. It is only seven dollars at most fine bookstores, and is well worth the entertaining, albeit brief, read. Do have a marvelous day.

~ G

Edited by: Admiral Yetter at: 10/29/04 10:22 am

Post subject: Re: Fantastic Mr. Fox: Confirmed
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 7:17 am 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

Sounds exciting! I volunteer in the youth section of a library and I often have to shelve Fantastic Mr. Fox. It's nice to hear Wes going on an artistic tangent. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.angelfire.com/film/criticalarchive">Kathleen's Critical Archive</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p>

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 8:35 am 
Kite Flying Society

Whoa, sounds great - an animated movie by Wes! <p>------------------
"Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have sons like these."
</p>

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 10:23 am 
In the freezer

This makes me happy, as FMF was always my favorite Dahl story. But do you think Wes will ever do that western he was rumored to have been planning?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 11:05 am 
Voluntary patient

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Anderson will write the script with Noah Baumbach<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> :\ I guess he's given up on Owen as a writing partner. So sad... <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->there’s never any time to have too much self-doubt anyway-- Wes Anderson </p>

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 11:26 am 
In the freezer

I really think Owen would be perfect to be the voice for Mr. Fox. As long as they keep working together in one way or another, I'll be happy. I don't want to say that Wes should get rid of Noah yet b/c I haven't seen TLA, but if TLA is as good as it appears to be, Noah can hang around as long as he likes.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 12:41 pm 
Kite Flying Society

What about Wes, Noah AND Owen making a writing team? Now that would be perfect!

Anyway, I'm trying to find a copy of the book now, but I don't know what it's called in German. I translated the original title and searched for the book that way but I didn't find anything. Damn it! <p>------------------
"Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have sons like these."
</p>

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 1:16 pm 
Voluntary patient

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Der Fantastische Herr Fuchs!</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

LOL, just pullin' yer leg, Dignan88! <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END-->there’s never any time to have too much self-doubt anyway-- Wes Anderson </p>

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 2:26 pm 
Chapel Partner

I have been completely obsessed with dahl since I could read or be read to.

If this had say, an Elephant Six Orchestra soundtrack, my brain would explode and i would float into the sky in rapture.

Hehehe. Eee I can't wait. And very eloquently said, chelseagirl.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 2:28 pm 
Kite Flying Society

Yeah, just found it on amazon. It's called "Der fantastische Mister Fox" in German, but it's sold out, because it's very old.

What books could you recommend from Dahl? I always wanted to read some of his books, they seem to be really good. I also loved the movie "Mathilda" by Danny DeVito based on Dahl's book. <p>------------------
"Swamp leeches! Everybody check for swamp leeches! Nobody got hit?! I'm the only one, what's the deal?!"
</p>

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 7:27 pm 
Chapel Partner

I've always loved Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

I can't say I don't love any of his books. Lately I've been reading some of his adult fiction, also very good. Anything of his is spectacular, in my eyes. The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me was always a favourite, although extremely short.

There was also this fairly large collection of all his works that I remember taking from the library a number of times... It's been a while, I've only been reading a few, and his adult fiction as of late.

"Die Giraffe, der Peli und ich"

Edited by: edgarfindshispurpose at: 10/29/04 6:28 pm

PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 9:14 pm 
Sudden Death Academic Probation

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Touchstone and Criterion are both subsidiaries of Buena Vista Entertainment which is, of course, owned by the Disney Corporation<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

While you are correct that Anderson's pairing with Revolution probably spells the end of his Criterion-produced discs, Criterion is <!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">not</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> in any way owned by Buena Vista or the Walt Disney Corporation. They are an offshoot of the independently owned Janus Films. Criterion simply has a licensing agreement with Buena Vista for certain titles. They have similar agreements with Universal and Fox, and produce certain discs for those studios as well.

Post subject: Mr. Fox forum
PostPosted: October 30th, 2004, 12:32 am 
Wants to be a Tenenbaum

call me an optimist, but...
it doesn't seem like Wes is leaving Touchstone permenantly. maybe Sony has the rights to Mr. Fox and Touchstone doesn't. I would be very surprised if Wes doesn't go back to Touchstone for his next live action movie. also, I have a feeling Wes and Owen will write together again. it's just that Owen is really busy acting.

but on to the big question: are we going to get a "Fantastic Mr. Fox" forum now? that would be cool.

Post subject: Re: Mr. Fox forum
PostPosted: October 30th, 2004, 4:12 am 
Explorer's Club (club degli esploratori)

I really wanted the rumours of this to be true, it's such a cool thing for a successful director to do. I had thought that the speculation of Wes maybe running the pattern of his first three films a bit thin was justified, and TLA is a big shift, and this is even better.

What sort of voice talent could be assembled for this? Don't need to get everyone in studios, but it'd probly make for some cool making of extras. More flexibility this way, it'd be great to get everyone from the old ones in on it. Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzmann, Olivia Williams, James Caan, wonder if he can fit Kumar in.... <p><!--EZCODE CENTER START--><div style="text-align:center">===
Leela, save me! And yourself I guess... and my banjo... and Fry!
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://looceefir.modblog.com" target="top">my experimental prose blog</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></div><!--EZCODE CENTER END--></p>

PostPosted: October 30th, 2004, 4:15 am 
Kite Flying Society

Well, they could create a new character specifically for Kumar! <p>------------------
"Swamp leeches! Everybody check for swamp leeches! Nobody got hit?! I'm the only one, what's the deal?!"
</p>